Sunday, March 25, 2012

Found Object du Jour



Another beach walk yesterday with some cool small things that have some pack rat appeal, at least to me:  A shell, perhaps just the lining, all nacre, a whelk that has been broken to show its spiral staircase inside, all tumbled white; the tip of another whelk with a pretty nova striped pattern, a barnacle with a plume of kelp; a bit of aluminum with chipped paint in black and red, with mysterious encrustations, sea glass and a bit of charcoal tumbled into a pretty, flat oval.

And my best find, a sign of spring in deep waters, an egg mass, that looks a bit like caviar, but it is solid and rubbery.  Perhaps the young have already hatched and this is just the old nursery; it bears close, magnified examination.  I love the color and the texture, and think it would be wonderful in a resin pool.

These treasures may seem ordinary, but I follow a design discipline that disposes of that notion.  Nothing is ordinary if you open your mind, eyes and heart!

1 comment:

  1. I've been obsessed with making beach-themed jewelry lately, so I am finding these photos very inspiring.
    Your descriptions make me think of a poem I read once, by Mary Oliver, where she finds the empty egg case of a whelk on the beach, and takes it back to her studio, with a desire to find out what it is. I can't seem to find the poem, or remember the name of it, but if I do, I'll forward it to you.
    Thanks so much for sharing these wonderful photos.

    ReplyDelete