Wednesday, August 20, 2014
It is high enough to put my file cabinets beneath, and thick enough for my mandrel clamp, and long enough for more tool stations. The fresh pine smells great. Next, a peg board for the wall, to hang my hammers, and with luck, a jeweler's bench, second hand. Yipeeee!
Friday, August 1, 2014
With my studio uprooted and waiting for the new built-in work table, I am taking my time with the foundations of this project. The top photo is a sheet of tin, 4 by 4 inches, with multiple layers of gesso, prismacolor pencil, and matte finish acrylic spray, baked between layers and cured. The layering and successive sealing and baking enabled me to begin to show the changeability of the fascinating octopus. Below is a preliminary sketch. The body and mantle will be die pressed, and the tentacles and other details will be riveted-on layers of tin. I'm researching the wonderful creature, as well, and am finding many admirable and loveable qualities in their natural history.
What we think of the "head" is actually the body that holds all the organs, and internal gills connected to siphons. There is so much to learn about them, it just feeds my fascination, and adds energy to my creative forces!
Wednesday, July 23, 2014
Monday, July 21, 2014
Chivalry's Reward -- I had to come up with a story to explain the wonky state of this ring, made with a scratched up old stone from a repaired class ring, set upside down. It was irregularly cut and gave me fits getting the bezel and the bearing to match the off-true sides. Read the fantasy in my Etsy shop, here. I have discovered the perfect tool for distressing metal to get that age-old, many adventures look: my front sidewalk, in combination with a ball pein hammer. Awfully good for getting one's frustrations expressed -- time to make another!
Monday, July 14, 2014
I can't believe how "modernistic" (mid century atomic style) these turned out to be! So far, that is. The top layer, which was die pressed from a cigar tin, has kept its finish, and the hand colored pink used in the last abyssal anglerfish is the bottom layer. I will fabricate settings for the Preciosa ab rhinestones. They will be riveted together with copper ball head rivets and finished surgical steel posts. The die pressing on these was quite successful -- I added more to the "sandwich" of z-foam, another die plate. That evened up the pressure. These were pressed at 3,000 lb. I'm lovin' the results.
Saturday, July 12, 2014
This is the last of the series, I think. This time the lady has company. This species is strongly dimorphic, so that you wouldn't recognize the male anglerfish, who lives attached to the female and exists simply to provide for reproduction. So I have made a tiny greenish one that attaches with a magnet, to provide some additional play to the piece. It can be stuck anywhere, you see, say, near the mouth as potential dinner, or on the body, or not worn at all and used only when the piece is displayed. I love the idea of jewelry as a toy, a doll, a plaything!