Thursday, October 22, 2009

Home for the Holidays


Here's one of my doll assemblages, based on the mummies of Guanajuato.  All decked out for Dias de los Muertos and visited by a happy moth.  Ingredients:  a piece of a desert-wracked rusty metal sign with the most delicious peeling yellow paint, an old t-shirt (the moth), feathers, acrylic paint, paper flowers, paper clay, an old religious medal that turned up in a box of old buttons, tea dyed muslin, black taffeta.  And what pleases me very much, he has been adopted just in time for the holiday by a real fan of spooky art in Walnut Creek, CA.  I had just about given up, thinking well, folks won't understand how cute, funny, ironic and beautiful this doll is, they just get creeped out and think I must be some sort of an axe murderer or something.  But no, not at all, at least one discriminating collector understands.  Thank you, Lady X, you have restored my faith, may you have the most wonderful, juicy, spooky, hilarious happy Halloween and Dias, and even though it was a bit hard to let my friends El Guanajuatotito y Polillo go, I know they go to a good home.  Happy, happy.  And, warning to all who take up doll making, you do get attached to these characters as they take shape in your hands; I'll miss El G y P for sure.  Adios!

No comments:

Post a Comment